RELOADED brought us a really nifty platform-adventure video game “The Cave”.
Release Date: Jan 23, 2013
Platforms: PC, PSN, XBLA
Gameplay Modes: Single-player
Developer: Double Fine Productions
Ratings: Metacritic: 8.7 (2 critics)
Description: The Cave’s story is based on a magical talking cave with a labyrinthine set of tunnels within it. Seven characters, drawn from across time and space, have come to the Cave, believing they can “learn something about themselves and who they might become”, as stated by Gilbert, while harboring a dark secret. In one example, a knight character, seeking a treasured amulet, encounters a princess who possesses the amulet in distress from a dragon; instead of coming to the princess’ rescue, he lures the dragon into eating her and recovering the amulet for himself when the dragon coughs it up.
I really like the idea of several different characters with their own back story and the execution, presentation and puzzles overall is brilliant. Only minor quibble is the control precision, but that’s easily overlooked. I just wish they could make more frequent and larger scale games of this type. All in all, cool and very funny adventure game! Recommended.
- Seamlessly Spelunk – Explore a ginormous completely seamless cave-world presented in astounding cross-section that will blow… your… mind.
- Assemble a team of 3 explorers – From the Hillbilly to the Time Traveller; all 7 characters have their own unique personalities, special talents and a dark and secret reason for descending The Cave.
- A Cave like no other – If you enjoy spelunking and dark rocky caverns then be prepared to be disappointed. Your first clue The Cave is a place like no other will be when you stumble across the subterranean amusement park or the medieval castle, not to mention the fully armed and ready to launch nuclear tipped missile.
- Let’s work together – Switch between the 3 characters, in cooperation with each other, and solve physical and adventure puzzles as you learn the truth behind why they are here. Share the cave exploring adventure with friends in local co-op.
- Unlock all the secrets of the cave – Replay the adventure with a new set of characters for a whole different experience including unique story, puzzles and areas of The Cave, plus hidden treasures (not redeemable for cash) and collectables.
- Watch the Cave come alive – Experience the detailed, stunning art style and humor that only Ron Gilbert and Double Fine can dream up.
- OS:Windows XP SP3
- Processor:1.8 GHz dual core CPU
- Memory:1 GB RAM
- Graphics:256 MB GeForce 8800, Radeon 3850, or Intel HD 2000 Graphics
- Hard Drive:1.5 GB HD space
- Sound:DirectX Compatible Sound Card